Here I am right after I was done running the mini this past Saturday morning-
chomping on my apple and not even aware my husband and daughter were standing watching me-
Nope, I couldn't even hear my husband screaming...
(I gathered every single piece of food they had to offer at the finish line except the oreo cookies, eww.)
1. The very first thing I thought as I stepped outside and walked my way to the starting line in 40 something degree fall weather-
I think I'd rather be getting ready to do a 13 mile run down the side of a mountain on skis.
2. I was cold for the first 3 miles. Then I hit my first hill and warmed up to the point that I took off my white ski shirt (while I was running) and tied it around my waist wearing
my second layer of a tank top with push down pull up sleeves and pushing my neck warmer up from around my neck to atop my head.
3. I brought myself an apple juice box that I held so tightly to during my run and fully intended to drink it at the 3 mile mark- Right after I tied my ski shirt around my waist I realized some how in that process I dropped my juice box and now would have to drink gatorade (yuck) provided at the drink stations.
4. I ran alongside, for much of the race, different people with T shirts on alerting me to the need for clean drinking water in 3rd world countries. I was joy filled (more so) with the clean water the volunteers handed out during this race and even for the gatorade.
5. By the last 2 miles of the race the wind had picked up and I wasn't picking up speed. The coldness returned. So again while I was running I put on my ski shirt and pushed my neck warmer from off of my head to down around my neck. I also put on lip gloss. No, not for the picture at the finish line but really I think I was a bit wind burned on my cheeks and lips. I still feel a slight sting.
I'm taking some time off from 'big' runs-
I'm not really a cold weather runner...
And I've decided I will do this run again...
Next mini, May 2012.