Thursday

Healthy you.

Hello. This is advice. Don't read it if you don't want the advice. I've found listening to advice means nothing until you put it into practice. Please also be advised I'm not a personal trainer. I don't know what I'm talking about other than my own personal experience. Okay? K.
For a healthy you...
 Step One. Start small. I mean really small. If you haven't been doing any exercise at all then only run/exercise 5 minutes each day. I'm not kidding. Do this every day until it is e-a-s-y. Then move on.
 Step Two. Do not compare. This is about you. This is for your health. No matter what, do what you like to do and do it well in a way you feel good about.
 Step Three. Look at the big picture. This is going to take awhile before it is routine. (or a habit) But in the long run it is going to pay off. Big time.

Step Four. Journal. Journal your goals and your progress. I do this on my paper desk calendar. For example, I write a number on each day for how many miles I'm going to run. Then once I run I circle the number if that's what I did or put a hash mark through it with the new lower/higher number beside it.
Step Five. Be realistic. Run/Exercise at a time that works for you. For example, I refuse to get up any earlier than 6 a.m. to do almost anything. So I don't. A plan for success wouldn't be for me to say, well I'll start running at 5:30 a.m. No way! Figure out what time works for you realisticly and stick to it. This can be a different time every day.
Step Six. Think it through. What do you have to do each day? How much time is it going to take you to accomplish that? Think about it. Write it down. Stick to it. For my family to function well I know I have to cook dinner [mostly] every night, do at least one load of laundry a day and spend a few hours in the car doing Moma transportation. I have to stick to that or my family suffers. (they don't like to wait for me at the bus stop/after school care, etc.) They don't want take out every night (and neither do I!) But I'm not going to spend quite as much time on supper on a day that I'm filling the schedule to the brim and getting a work out in.
Step Seven. Be flexible. Change it up a bit so your routine isn't so routine. Consider where you go and what you do when you are there. If you work out better around people or with people then do that. If you are more likely to have a better work out on your own stay home or close to home.
Step Eight. Expect resistance. As with anything in life there will be resistance. Work around that. Don't give up.
Step Nine. Have fun. If it isn't fun for you anymore think about what you can do differently to have fun. Maybe you need a friend to text you after they work out. Maybe you want a pizza date with your husband for lunch on your way home from working out. Sometimes I add a song our oldest one adds a song to my play list that keeps it fun. Just think about what will motivate you to get it done.
Step Ten. Share your progress. What I could do a year ago doesn't even come close to what I can do now. (I was afraid to train for and do a 5k last October! In fact I didn't do it.)

Healthy You!

Kisses,

Hershey's Moma

3 comments:

  1. love the advice, amy! i'll take it ;) i've been 'starting small' and indeed that's the way to go. what an accomplishment for you to look back a year ago and see all you're able to do!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to add...and read this post again and again as a reminder and for encouragement. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Kelli, will need to save this post to read and be reminded! Thanks for the inspiration and encouragement. :) I am hoping to run a 5K in the spring and I can already feel myself mentally trying to back out of it. Just will make have to make sure I don't let that happen.

    ReplyDelete

xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...